Thursday, August 13, 2015

Yang

By: Jolo Van Clyde S. Abatayo

Going to school isn’t typically a source of excitement for most students, and only a handful view it as a delightful pastime. For me, school provides a different kind of joy. Not so much for the lessons or activities, but for the opportunity to see someone special. Someone entirely unique.

Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Gray – and no, despite rumors to the contrary, I'm not the campus crush. Far from it, actually. I find myself cloaked in descriptors like "geek" and "nerd," all thanks to my penchant for eccentric eyeglasses and a wardrobe dictated not by fashion, but by parental preferences. Oh, and my consistently high academic performance certainly adds to the stereotype.

Yang, my singular companion, is a beacon amidst all of this. She lends me an ear for my most bizarre thoughts and gently offers her advice. Yang understands me in a way that others simply don’t. Unlike the mischievous youngsters who never miss an opportunity to mock me, she sees beyond the superficial.

But today, something is amiss. Yang, who always greeted me near the school entrance, is nowhere to be found. An unfamiliar emptiness fills the two days – Saturday and Sunday – and now, Monday is tainted with her absence.

An idea strikes me. I'll call her! But wait, she doesn't have a phone, rendering that plan moot. My mind whirls as an unfamiliar emotion courses through me. Could it be... love?

(Sensitive Scene Transition with Considerate Language)

(Melancholy music gently plays)

Suddenly, the narrative shifts. I find myself in a stark white room, confusion clouding my senses. "Where are you, Yang?" My voice is barely a whisper, despair creeping through every syllable.

The appearance of people in white uniforms intensifies my fear. Pain and anguish collide within me, but why? Why am I here? Why are they coming towards me?


Image: https://www.vecteezy.com/photo/7213547-happy-student-girl-hold-book-and-backpack-at-school-asian-girl



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day in the Life of a Librarian: Celebrating the Joys of Our Profession!

by JVC Abatayo Ahoy, fellow book sailors! Today, I wanted to take a moment to share some of the amazing things about being a librarian that ...